East Elementary School PTO Meeting Agenda
September 12, 2018, 7:00 pm
Featured Speakers – Dr. Reynolds and Cheryl Carlson
Dr. Reynolds spent some time giving us a background on himself and his philosophies. He reviewed the main event of their recent staff meeting which was having all the teachers and staff do the “Marshmallow Challenge”. This instills his fundamental need for all classrooms: Play.
He reviewed the 5 principles of learning that they try to follow at East:
- Learn with and through others
- Learn about making connections
- Learning takes time
- Motivation matters
- Effort produces achievement
He reviewed the Collective Teacher Efficacy: Collective Teacher Efficacy is the collective belief of teachers in their ability to positively affect students. With an effect size of d=1.57 Collective Teacher Efficacy is strongly correlated with student achievement.
He reviewed his thoughts on meditation and how it can have a great positive impact for everyone – parents, teachers, students. An App that he recommends is the “Insight Timer – Meditation App”.
He and Cheryl have an “empty office policy”. They have set goals to have many classroom visits and feel that they can benefit the children the most by being out and around the school interacting.
- The Board has expanded this year in an effort to spread out roles and responsibilities. Co-Chairs are Stephanie Hadley and Julie Rowe. Programming chair: Stacey Gay. Treasurers: Melissa North, Adam Morris and Julia Jiang. Secretaries: Emily Hewitt and Alicia Chevalier.
- Approve Meeting Minutes: June 2018
- Minutes were approved.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Several fundraisers are starting soon. Last year we had a budget shortfall which we hope to close with the new Fun Run! Please looks for emails about the Fun Run, Membership Dues and other fundraisers to support our enrichment programs
- Project and Event Updates
- – My School Anywhere Online Directory and Membership Dues ( new website, follow us on Facebook at Facebook.com/eastelpto) – This information will be distributed to parents next week (9/17). Be on the lookout, this is the way to access a directory of all children in the school, arrange playdates, birthdays, talk to other parents, etc. Must pay $35 PTO dues online to access.
- – Room Parent Kick off – Will be directly after this meeting
- – School Picnic – Sunday 9/23 at 4pm on the East Playground fields. Bring your own picnic. Good event for the kids and families to meet each other. Check Facebook for any weather updates the day of the event.
- – Book Fair – 9/25 and 9/26 for grades 1-5 (no K). Check kids notices in backpacks for forthcoming information.
- – Open House – Also 9/25 and 9/26 – see Dr. Reynolds emails for more information. Parents only, no children.
- – Fun Run – Going to be a tremendous fundraiser for the school/PTO and great spirit building activity for the kids. This will be held during the school day on 10/19. There will be a kick-off pep rally on 10/9. Parents will all get notifications to set up online account for kids to accept sponsors for the run (family/friends). They will get sponsored per lap that they run/walk. The laps will be small. We are still looking for T-shirts sponsors at $200/each – local businesses or families – need by 9/19.
- – Photo Day – 10/30
- – Safe Routes to School Update – discussed drop-off and dismissal policies at length. Also received an update on improvements requested/made through the Safe Routes to School committee for making the walk or bike to school easier and safer for all kids.
- – Amazon Smile and Box Tops – fundraising made easy! – Go to smile.amazon.com and add Sharon East Elementary School as your charity choice. We will receive proceed from your Amazon purchases. Box Tops: Collect and save throughout the year. We will have an event in early spring to bring them all to school.
- – Winter Snow Ball – Auction/Dance in January. Will need volunteers.
- – Spring Groove Coordinator Needed – Looking for someone to spearhead this amazing event! Please contact Julie Rowe for more information.
- – 5Th Grade Activities
- – Mascot Contest & Spirit Wear – Dr. Reynolds will be leading an effort for the school to select a mascot. After that we will be getting new East spirit wear designed and ready for sale!
- – Family Fun Planner Needed – looking for a volunteer to coordinate group family activities such as sporting events, shows, etc.
- Freeze Pop Friday – Laureen Westman
- Room Parent Coordinator – Stacey Gay
- Luncheon Coordinator – Julie Goldberg
Next PTO Meeting – October 9, 7:00 pm, East Cafeteria – Will have a guest speaker Sharon Silverman who is a pediatric nutritionist at CHildren’s and an East parent – thank you Sharon!